Skip to main content

After the Transplant Doctor Consultation

Last Friday started sunny and calm outside. Inside, another story.

Getting out of bed is very difficult most days. It takes a lot of energy and oxygen to get myself going. This morning I found myself in a coughing loop. The more I coughed, the lower my blood oxygen level dropped. Coughing is physically exhausting. After being unable to stop coughing, I switched from the concentrator to a tank of oxygen which gives me purer O2 and helps break the coughing loop. It worked, but I had used a lot of physical energy. I only have so much and I needed to save some for my meeting with a doctor from the transplant team at Toronto General Hospital.

The meeting started late because the video conferencing app Microsoft Teams didn’t work. [surprise, surprise; btw I hate MS Teams] We finally got the audio portion working, but the doctor could not see us. We could see her and we could hear each other.

The first 30 minutes or so was the doctor exploring my health history. I’m getting very good at telling that story. The latter part of the meeting was a thorough briefing by the doctor on the lung transplant, the risks, and the follow-up.

As we expected, my failure to meet the standard for the walking/breathing test combined with my age means I am unlikely to be approved for the transplant. The bottom line is, I am too sick, too weak, and not healthy enough to safely go through this major surgery. And if even if I made it through the procedure, I don’t know that I would be strong enough for the recovery period.

The doctor wants to try one more test. This would involve saturating my body with oxygen and the then doing the walking/breathing test again to see if there might be another way of approaching this. Again, I am not optimistic. In fact, this consultation helped me more clearly understand my situation and make some hard choices.

I have decided end any further attempts to get a lung transplant. I will soon be setting a date for MAiD. I still have a number of things to get done before that. I want to clean up, pre-pay, and otherwise put my affairs in the best order possible.

In other news, since early last week I have been receiving some support from palliative home care through Health PEI. I have had several visits from a nurse and a respiratory therapist. The nurse has been very helpful and has, with the support of my doctor, upped my meds to make my breathing easier and reduce the coughing. It has worked and until my body adjusts, I’m high AF several times a day.

Since I am not trying to become stronger or gain more stamina to have a lung transplant, I have also decided to pull out of the pulmonary rehab clinic. There is no point in me taking up space that could be used by someone who really could benefit from the clinic. I think if I need to use oxygen from a tank, I could use it for a wheelchair walk along the boardwalk and not for a trip to the clinic at UPEI.

At this point, I am aiming for early November for the MAiD procedure. But I am aware that I could have another sudden decline. I grow weaker every day and can’t get around anywhere nearly as well as just a few weeks ago. What I do know is that I do not want to live much longer like this. I can’t move around much. I’m being pushed and pulled on the walker. Everything is an effort from getting out of bed to brushing my teeth to having a sit-down shower to getting dressed to eating. And when my blood oxygen runs low and I’m gasping for breath and that feels awful.

It’s almost sunset Sunday as I stare out the window at the trees that were shredded by Fiona. Some of the remaining leaves have begun to turn red and gold.  The temperature is dropping and the forecast calls for a risk of frost overnight. I’m grateful we have power. I worry about the more than twenty thousand homes won’t have heat. We are still quite tired from our five days without power. I can only imagine what these folks are going through. I wish there was something magical we could do to instantly turn on the electricity.



Comments

  1. Heartbreakingly beautiful! Thank you for your courage in sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Counting

  It’s feels strange to be counting the rest of my life in weeks and days and curling games on TV. While we haven’t finalized the date for MAiD we are aiming for early November. Some examples… Last week, confirmation of my cataract surgery arrived by mail with a date later in November. Nope. I won’t be here for that. A couple of days ago, a friend and former colleague dropped off some cookies and stayed for a brief visit. She said she would be out of province for about six weeks. As she was leaving, she said she would see me later. Nope. I won’t be here when you get back. The other evening I was asked why I was staying up so late. I replied that I was watching a women’s curling game and for me there were just a few games left in my life to watch so I was staying up. And all of a sudden it doesn’t feel as if there is enough time to make sure all the other things are looked after. One major item has been checked off the list: organizing and pre-paying for cremation. All I needed was for

How Are You Doing Anyways?

Fewer than three weeks away from the end of my life and I’m asking myself how am I doing.   As I am trying to live in the moment as much as is possible, I can say I’m doing alright. I can’t help myself when my mind wanders to contemplate that just after four in the afternoon in early November there will be no more me. In this brain which is always crackling with thought energy there will be nothing. An emptiness. It’s hard to wrap my head around it.   I think this is how and why some find comfort in the concept of an afterlife. They say to themselves, “surely this can’t be it“. But I think it is. We have one chance at life and if there is something after, it’s not who we were, if that makes sense. I can also see why people believe in miracles. They hope and hope that something supernatural will occur and magically they will be cured or returned to a previous state of better health.   I’m not frightened of what will be coming. In many ways, the end will be a relief. No more desperate ga

Letter from a friend

This note came from a friend via Messenger: Hi Craig, I have been meaning to write to you yet struggling to find the words. I have been following your journey closely and my admiration for you continues to grow. So I finally decided to just write, thinking the words would come. Somehow, they still fail me but I'll do my best. When I moved to Canada almost two decades ago, you were among the first people I met. I visited you at CBC where you gave me a tour and chatted with me about my dreams of someday working in radio. You told me about college programs, made calls, helped me apply. And thus, the trajectory of my Canadian adventure changed. It turned into my Canadian life instead. So many wonderful things happened to me, so many great friendships, some of the very best in fact, were formed as a direct result of meeting you. Throughout the next couple of decades, our paths would continue to cross regularly, most consistently at Starbucks. It was always so great to see you come in on