Skip to main content

Counting

 

It’s feels strange to be counting the rest of my life in weeks and days and curling games on TV. While we haven’t finalized the date for MAiD we are aiming for early November. Some examples…

Last week, confirmation of my cataract surgery arrived by mail with a date later in November. Nope. I won’t be here for that.

A couple of days ago, a friend and former colleague dropped off some cookies and stayed for a brief visit. She said she would be out of province for about six weeks. As she was leaving, she said she would see me later. Nope. I won’t be here when you get back.

The other evening I was asked why I was staying up so late. I replied that I was watching a women’s curling game and for me there were just a few games left in my life to watch so I was staying up.

And all of a sudden it doesn’t feel as if there is enough time to make sure all the other things are looked after. One major item has been checked off the list: organizing and pre-paying for cremation. All I needed was for my body to be picked up by the funeral home and taken to the crematorium to do what they do there. My ashes would then be put into a compostable container to be shared among family. It's certainly not inexpensive. Almost $4,400 taxes in. There are a number of other things on the ’before death’ list and I'll try to get to as many as I can.

A big part of me doesn’t feel so bad about exiting stage left at this time what with the COVID pandemic and associated anti-vax types; climate change causing hurricanes to pulverize my island with climate-change deniers chirping on the side; whack-job politicians who have decided truth doesn’t matter anymore; governments not looking out for the people they are supposed to protect; and even people in the community who are so self-centred they no longer see things like vaccines and mask mandates as their communal responsibility. I don’t know what’s happening, but I know we’re headed in the wrong direction as a society.

I see the Earth as a living, breathing organism. We should be doing everything in our power to protect this planet, but humanity has become the virus that is killing the Earth. Earth has been around a lot longer than humans and whatever happens it will outlast us.

And yet there is the other part of me that wants more time with some very important people in my life, especially my Mary. So many have shown so much generosity towards me. And, I really would like to see how things turn out. It’s my insatiable curiosity and the optimistic part of me that believes human intelligence, common sense, and empathy will eventually overpower the idiocracy. 

You, who have been accompanying me on this journey, are the kind of people we need in charge. You can turn this bus around. I hope you do it.

Comments

  1. Craig,

    I was just made aware of your circumstances as a result of the article posted in the Guardian. To say I was shocked would be an understatement! I am heartbroken to think that newcomers to the Island won't have the opportunity to be in your presence, to feel the warmth that you emit and your unwavering support for their success! You have given so much of yourself to so many and your legacy will shine bright. I feel so fortunate to have worked with you over the years and I am saddened to hear that your retirement will be cut short. Safe journey my friend...

    Lesley Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Your bravery in the face of adversity is inspiring. Paul G, Newfoundland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Craig,

    I’m so sorry that your journey of life is taking you down this path. I Have just found out your circumstances from the Guardian and you blog yesterday. I was at a disbelief and sadden of this news. I enjoyed our times together, when I was on the PEI Newcomers to Canada board for 8+ years. You have been an inspiration to me and to us all and you spirit will leave forever long on our hearts and our minds. I feel blessed that we have crossed paths in this life and the life that will follow. Safe journey my friend... until we meet again!

    Sincerely,
    Julius Patkai
    Let me know, if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the story in The Guardian online and have begun reading your blog. I admire and applaud you for taking the stand to take charge of your own life and final moments. I wish you and your family all the best and that your remaining time is peaceful and filled with the love of family and friends. See you on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig,

    I was not very familiar with MAID, but I felt it was a choice any person facing a diagnosis with shortened life expectancy. So many choices are not your own and you’re at the mercy of medical professionals to attempt any and all life saving measures and treatment options. 5 years ago my son received devastating news, he had a brain tumour. He had surgery and pathology indicated it was Glioblastoma, the monster of brain cancers. He had surgeries and treatments and had a great quality of life for over 3 years. He enrolled in the MAID program in Alberta and made his journey on his terms this past January. As a mother it was a double edged sword 💔 My son was surrounded by his closest friends and family on his day, a reverse wake he called it. It was beautiful and I am so very grateful he was able to make HIS choice, he was 41. If you or Mary want to reach out, if I can talk about our experience, please don’t hesitate. kathiecorrigan@gmail.com

    Take good care 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Craig! I guess we’re all so fortunate to have the option of taking dignified leave from the global insane asylum we live in. The Canada “ward” isn’t quite as bad as some of the others. Still, it doesn’t diminish the sadness I have for you and your suffering. On the flip side of course, I have the vivid memory of our friendship in the Yukon. You cheered Scott and I on and gave us much encouragement with our music, so long ago. But my sadness is tempered by knowing that you are allowed to make a rational and reasoned decision about how to conduct the end of your life. I hope you’ll send a postcard or two from the other side like my life-long friend promised only a few weeks ago when he went out with MAID here.
    Your friend,
    John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Are You Doing Anyways?

Fewer than three weeks away from the end of my life and I’m asking myself how am I doing.   As I am trying to live in the moment as much as is possible, I can say I’m doing alright. I can’t help myself when my mind wanders to contemplate that just after four in the afternoon in early November there will be no more me. In this brain which is always crackling with thought energy there will be nothing. An emptiness. It’s hard to wrap my head around it.   I think this is how and why some find comfort in the concept of an afterlife. They say to themselves, “surely this can’t be it“. But I think it is. We have one chance at life and if there is something after, it’s not who we were, if that makes sense. I can also see why people believe in miracles. They hope and hope that something supernatural will occur and magically they will be cured or returned to a previous state of better health.   I’m not frightened of what will be coming. In many ways, the end will be a relief. No more desperate ga

Letter from a friend

This note came from a friend via Messenger: Hi Craig, I have been meaning to write to you yet struggling to find the words. I have been following your journey closely and my admiration for you continues to grow. So I finally decided to just write, thinking the words would come. Somehow, they still fail me but I'll do my best. When I moved to Canada almost two decades ago, you were among the first people I met. I visited you at CBC where you gave me a tour and chatted with me about my dreams of someday working in radio. You told me about college programs, made calls, helped me apply. And thus, the trajectory of my Canadian adventure changed. It turned into my Canadian life instead. So many wonderful things happened to me, so many great friendships, some of the very best in fact, were formed as a direct result of meeting you. Throughout the next couple of decades, our paths would continue to cross regularly, most consistently at Starbucks. It was always so great to see you come in on