Skip to main content

MAiD Approval

 WARNING: this may trigger an emotional response with respect to medically assisted dying or the end of the road for me. 

==========================================

 

Nothing quite says terminal like an approved MAiD application.

 

After being interviewed by two doctors, I am now able to arrange for this procedure. You can see from what’s been checked off by the doctor on the MAiD form, I clearly qualify. One doctor even said MAiD was designed for people with conditions like mine.

 

Decisions that remain are where I would like the procedure to take place (home, hospital, somewhere else) and when. I’m not quite ready to pick a date, but I have decided I would like the procedure to take place in the hospital. Another question is who I would like to be there with me. That’s a hard one.

 

I continue to pursue the possibility of a lung transplant, but the outlook is pessimistic. All the preliminary tests have been completed and while I passed the heart and stress tests, I did not do well on the walking/breathing test. The combination of my weak performance on that test and my age will probably eliminate me from going any further towards a transplant, but I will keep pushing.

 


 

This week, I started with the Pulmonary Rehab Clinic at UPEI. My goal is to regain some strength and stamina through exercise. The clinic has me working with a physiotherapist and a respiratory therapist. I also have access to a dietician and an RN. If nothing else, this gets me out of the house a couple of times a week for an hour of focussed exercise supported by some very nice professionals.

 

I’m also planning what happens with my “mortal remains”. Much as I would like the option of a “green burial” which involved putting me in the ground and planting a tree over me, I think I’m probably going with cremation. Something else I need to finalize.

 

How am I feeling? Good. Having clarity about MAiD and knowing I still have some time to wrap things up, is giving me some peace. And knowing I choose the place and time I go is also good.

 

I would like to make it to my 72nd birthday on December 18th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Counting

  It’s feels strange to be counting the rest of my life in weeks and days and curling games on TV. While we haven’t finalized the date for MAiD we are aiming for early November. Some examples… Last week, confirmation of my cataract surgery arrived by mail with a date later in November. Nope. I won’t be here for that. A couple of days ago, a friend and former colleague dropped off some cookies and stayed for a brief visit. She said she would be out of province for about six weeks. As she was leaving, she said she would see me later. Nope. I won’t be here when you get back. The other evening I was asked why I was staying up so late. I replied that I was watching a women’s curling game and for me there were just a few games left in my life to watch so I was staying up. And all of a sudden it doesn’t feel as if there is enough time to make sure all the other things are looked after. One major item has been checked off the list: organizing and pre-paying for cremation. All I needed was for

How Are You Doing Anyways?

Fewer than three weeks away from the end of my life and I’m asking myself how am I doing.   As I am trying to live in the moment as much as is possible, I can say I’m doing alright. I can’t help myself when my mind wanders to contemplate that just after four in the afternoon in early November there will be no more me. In this brain which is always crackling with thought energy there will be nothing. An emptiness. It’s hard to wrap my head around it.   I think this is how and why some find comfort in the concept of an afterlife. They say to themselves, “surely this can’t be it“. But I think it is. We have one chance at life and if there is something after, it’s not who we were, if that makes sense. I can also see why people believe in miracles. They hope and hope that something supernatural will occur and magically they will be cured or returned to a previous state of better health.   I’m not frightened of what will be coming. In many ways, the end will be a relief. No more desperate ga

Time is running out

The sand in the hourglass measuring the remaining time in my life is running out.   The past couple of days have been very difficult. My energy is low. My breathing more laboured. I have by times felt nauseous at the thought of eating. Overall I have never felt so weak. My body is shutting down.   ------------------------ "The mystery of life isn't a problem to  solve , but a reality to experience." Frank Herbert, Dune ------------------------   I know there is a time limit on the human body. I once read that human beings had evolved to live between 50 and 60 years, but 20th Century science and medicine had extended lifespans to 80+ years. About a year ago I looked back at males in my family. My father and my two grandfathers lived into their early 80s so I concluded I might have another decade. What I failed to consider is longevity on the female side of the family. My mom died at 78. Her mother at 77. Mom's sister at the very young age of 44. Seems my genetics line