Skip to main content

How Are You Doing Anyways?


Fewer than three weeks away from the end of my life and I’m asking myself how am I doing. 

As I am trying to live in the moment as much as is possible, I can say I’m doing alright. I can’t help myself when my mind wanders to contemplate that just after four in the afternoon in early November there will be no more me. In this brain which is always crackling with thought energy there will be nothing. An emptiness. It’s hard to wrap my head around it.

 

I think this is how and why some find comfort in the concept of an afterlife. They say to themselves, “surely this can’t be it“. But I think it is. We have one chance at life and if there is something after, it’s not who we were, if that makes sense. I can also see why people believe in miracles. They hope and hope that something supernatural will occur and magically they will be cured or returned to a previous state of better health.

 

I’m not frightened of what will be coming. In many ways, the end will be a relief. No more desperate gasping for oxygen. I really can’t do anything for myself anymore. Someone has to help me with almost everything. So, as much as I would like to be around to volunteer for the 2023 Canada Games or to attend the 50th anniversary of CKCU-FM in 2025, it’s not going to happen. I have accepted that.

 

What I am somewhat relieved about is not dying of some kind of dementia as both of my grandfathers did. Or some kind of cancer as my father, my two grandmothers, and my aunt did. My mother died of pulmonary fibrosis and she did not have a medically assisted death as a choice. She would have taken that choice rather than suffocate as she did at the end.

 

I’m not afraid of death. It is a natural part of the cycle of life. We are born. We live. We die. It’s what you do with the middle part of that sandwich that matters to me. And now that MAiD (Medical Assistance in Dying) is an option, under very strict criteria, we have some control at the end of our lives. As I have said a number of times over the past few months, MAiD has been legislated. It is not currently a human right. Another political party with a different agenda could reverse that legislation. For those of us who believe in this choice, it is important that we speak, publicly, in favour of it. My days of public affirmation of MAiD are slipping away. My hope is that those of you who also think this is an important end-of-life choice will carry on supporting MAiD.

 

The past few weeks have been quite joyful and energizing for me. The feedback I have received from my blogging; the stories of our individual interactions; the reminiscences of how we met or how your life changed as a result of something I did or said; the chances I gave to people either through hiring or other opportunities have all come to make my heart full and my spirits uplifted. It has been a living wake. Thank you.

Comments

  1. Dear Mr. Mackie, You probably don’t know me, however in response to reading your article in yesterday’s paper concerning your decision to opt for end-of-life assistance, I am moved to lovingly prompt you to also decide to get your ticket for the journey to another place, that place is called Heaven. There was a thief hanging next to Jesus on the cross and as he was about to die with Jesus, he asked Jesus how do I get to heaven by saying “remember me when you go into your kingdom” and Jesus answered him and said “today you will be with me in paradise” and of course paradise is that far away country that you refer to as another place. What worked for the thief works for all who asks. God loves you that’s a fact. This is respectfully submitted to you for your consideration. Life is full of decisions, I sincerely pray you would act upon this decision. Respectfully yours
    Ed Doiron
    69 Andrews Court
    Charlottetown, PE
    C1C 1A8
    Phone 902-566-9212

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,
    I just felt the need to comment but for once words escape me but I’ll try to get it out.
    I loss two husbands to cancer (2004, 2008). Both laid in palliative care wishing to die, one for two months. “Why can we help our pets have a pain free end to life but I have to suffer?” Yes, that is what one said daily. I’m so relieved that today, we are able to have the choice to “die with dignity”.
    And Craig, there is an afterlife. To what extent I do not know but I do know that my one husband was guided those last weeks by loved ones gone before him. He spoke of their appearances those last couple weeks, right up to the time his grandmother came to get him and he was gone a few short hours later.
    Craig, I wish nothing but peace and love for you, your family and friends. May you know that your memory will not only live on with those whose lives you touched in person but also by those of us who were privileged to be part of your journey2anotherplace.
    Blessings, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I come to the end of the road
      And the sun has set for me
      I want no tears in a gloom filled room
      Why cry for a soul set free
      For this is a journey we all must take
      And each must go alone
      It's all a part of the masters plan
      A step on the road to home
      Miss me a little but not for long
      Not with your head bowed low
      Remember the love that we once shared
      Miss me but let me go
      But remember my songs now and then
      Hear the tunes that set me free
      And have a glass, close your eyes my beloved
      Know I'll be what you need
      Miss me a little but not for long
      Not with your head bowed low
      Remember the love that we once shared
      Miss me but let me go
      Miss me a little but not for long
      Not with your head bowed low
      Remember the love that we once shared
      Miss me but let me go
      Miss me but let me go

      Delete
  3. I didn't mean to publish that anonymously. It's Dave Stewart here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Counting

  It’s feels strange to be counting the rest of my life in weeks and days and curling games on TV. While we haven’t finalized the date for MAiD we are aiming for early November. Some examples… Last week, confirmation of my cataract surgery arrived by mail with a date later in November. Nope. I won’t be here for that. A couple of days ago, a friend and former colleague dropped off some cookies and stayed for a brief visit. She said she would be out of province for about six weeks. As she was leaving, she said she would see me later. Nope. I won’t be here when you get back. The other evening I was asked why I was staying up so late. I replied that I was watching a women’s curling game and for me there were just a few games left in my life to watch so I was staying up. And all of a sudden it doesn’t feel as if there is enough time to make sure all the other things are looked after. One major item has been checked off the list: organizing and pre-paying for cremation. All I needed was for

Letter from a friend

This note came from a friend via Messenger: Hi Craig, I have been meaning to write to you yet struggling to find the words. I have been following your journey closely and my admiration for you continues to grow. So I finally decided to just write, thinking the words would come. Somehow, they still fail me but I'll do my best. When I moved to Canada almost two decades ago, you were among the first people I met. I visited you at CBC where you gave me a tour and chatted with me about my dreams of someday working in radio. You told me about college programs, made calls, helped me apply. And thus, the trajectory of my Canadian adventure changed. It turned into my Canadian life instead. So many wonderful things happened to me, so many great friendships, some of the very best in fact, were formed as a direct result of meeting you. Throughout the next couple of decades, our paths would continue to cross regularly, most consistently at Starbucks. It was always so great to see you come in on