Skip to main content

Where I Am

 

Natalie, Ian, Craig - Back Then and More Recently

Days away from my date with death, I am even surprising myself. I don't feel afraid. I don't really feel much of anything except a distant sense of relief.

 

I can feel myself becoming progressively weaker. Taking just  a few steps with the support of the walker is tiring. I need increasing amounts of oxygen. My at-rest flow rate is up to 11 L/m. A week ago it was 10. I now have two concentrators paired with a Y-tube in order to give me enough oxygen. If I experience a sudden drop in blood-oxygen level, I need both an oxygen tank and the twinned concentrators and go through a desperate gasping for breath to catch up. The drugs I'm taking are causing skin problems, facial swelling, and brutal dry-mouth to say nothing about difficulties with urination (oh look, I said something about it [ha]). I'm nearing 20 pounds weight loss. Some of the drugs are also making me gap in and out of reality (not such a bad thing sometimes). I almost fell asleep on the toilet yesterday. 

 

Why am I hanging on? Mostly, I'm waiting for one more family member to arrive, but in the meantime I am enjoying having all the other family close by and visiting every day.

 

Death brings us together. Having this one last opportunity to spend time with people I love who live thousands of kilometres away and with whom I don't spend enough time is treasurable (is that a word?). This living wake, as I've come to call this time, has brought a surprising joy and brightness into my final days. People with whom I've had what could only be called a passing acquaintance have written to tell me advice I gave them helped improve their curling game and and in another it helped them win public speaking awards. Yet another was a musician that I helped record a demo tape that led them to performance bookings and other recordings.

 

What I’ve discovered from these stories that have come back to me is that by taking a few minutes out of my busy day to lend a hand or offer advice or make a phone call to make an introduction was so important. It cost me nothing, but meant so much to someone else.

 

This living wake is something MAiD offers that I had not previously considered. It has the potential to offer a period of time before death to speak candidly, to make amends, to express honest emotions, and to share things among people that might have been difficult otherwise. It has given back to me in ways that I never could have imagined. For that, I am so grateful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Counting

  It’s feels strange to be counting the rest of my life in weeks and days and curling games on TV. While we haven’t finalized the date for MAiD we are aiming for early November. Some examples… Last week, confirmation of my cataract surgery arrived by mail with a date later in November. Nope. I won’t be here for that. A couple of days ago, a friend and former colleague dropped off some cookies and stayed for a brief visit. She said she would be out of province for about six weeks. As she was leaving, she said she would see me later. Nope. I won’t be here when you get back. The other evening I was asked why I was staying up so late. I replied that I was watching a women’s curling game and for me there were just a few games left in my life to watch so I was staying up. And all of a sudden it doesn’t feel as if there is enough time to make sure all the other things are looked after. One major item has been checked off the list: organizing and pre-paying for cremation. All I needed was for

How Are You Doing Anyways?

Fewer than three weeks away from the end of my life and I’m asking myself how am I doing.   As I am trying to live in the moment as much as is possible, I can say I’m doing alright. I can’t help myself when my mind wanders to contemplate that just after four in the afternoon in early November there will be no more me. In this brain which is always crackling with thought energy there will be nothing. An emptiness. It’s hard to wrap my head around it.   I think this is how and why some find comfort in the concept of an afterlife. They say to themselves, “surely this can’t be it“. But I think it is. We have one chance at life and if there is something after, it’s not who we were, if that makes sense. I can also see why people believe in miracles. They hope and hope that something supernatural will occur and magically they will be cured or returned to a previous state of better health.   I’m not frightened of what will be coming. In many ways, the end will be a relief. No more desperate ga

Letter from a friend

This note came from a friend via Messenger: Hi Craig, I have been meaning to write to you yet struggling to find the words. I have been following your journey closely and my admiration for you continues to grow. So I finally decided to just write, thinking the words would come. Somehow, they still fail me but I'll do my best. When I moved to Canada almost two decades ago, you were among the first people I met. I visited you at CBC where you gave me a tour and chatted with me about my dreams of someday working in radio. You told me about college programs, made calls, helped me apply. And thus, the trajectory of my Canadian adventure changed. It turned into my Canadian life instead. So many wonderful things happened to me, so many great friendships, some of the very best in fact, were formed as a direct result of meeting you. Throughout the next couple of decades, our paths would continue to cross regularly, most consistently at Starbucks. It was always so great to see you come in on